Local authorities are owed over £2 billion in unpaid council tax.
Around 98% of tax payers do pay their council tax but that still leaves 2% of tax payers who don't. Recent research from Experian revealed up to 17% of outstanding council tax debt is owed by people from the most affluent sections of society.
Local authorities have a duty to the vast majority of residents who pay their taxes to pursue the small number of individuals who don’t. Using bailiffs is very much a last resort. However collecting unpaid money is a crucial and serious concern because it funds the vital front line services residents need and want.
Many of our country's councils entrust JBW to collect unpaid Council Tax because we offer:
Speed of recovery: JBW's propensity led debtor-centric approach, which is built into our technology and all our business processes, means that we can provide more revenue more quickly for our clients. We collect up to 74% of cases at either first letter or first visit stage. The dynamic allocation and scheduling, workflow management and real time performance monitoring capabilities of our AR-12 platform have led to improvements in average speed of collection of over 60% in the last year.
High collection rates: JBW achieves higher collection rates for over 90% of the clients where we share collection responsibility with one of our competitors. We consistently collect above our clients' target, and are gaining an increasing number of 'sole provider' contracts on the basis of our high collection rates and outstanding customer service.
Efficiency: Our intelligence led approach ensures we can collect more revenue using less enforcement action and fewer enforcement agents than any other provider in the UK.
Bespoke approach: JBW recognises that the communities represented by each Local Authority are different. Our tailored approach treats each debtor according to their individual circumstances, allowing us to maintain a firm approach which is fair and respectful.
Tracing solutions: JBW's real time data links with industry leading data providers, such as Callcredit, Experian, Data Discoveries and Companies House enabe us to locate new addresses upon case receipt, ensuring effective recovery action can commence quickly. Unlike many providers, our tracing processes are built into every stage of recovery, rather than a last resort when other recovery action has failed.
Ethics and transparency: Our Independent Advisory Group, annual Good Governance audits and ISO9001 accredited quality management process ensure that professionalism, ethics and transparency are embedded in all our operations.
Added value services: Our partnership approach with clients allow us to provide a number of no cost added value services, such as 14 day letters, void property inspections and regular debtor surgeries.